Are your gutters looking like a neglected Chia Pet? You’ve come to the right place. Here are some tips to get your gutters back in action, and keep you safe while you work.
Why should you clean your gutters?
Cleaning your gutters prevents them from:
• Falling—leaves and debris can add a lot of heavy weight after piling up
• Rotting and discoloration— water spills and mildew can cause damage
• Cracking the foundation of the house—water spills can seep into the house’s foundation, causing it to crack
• Ice-damming—the water inside your gutters can freeze when it gets backed up, preventing water from draining off the roof
• Flooding—Water can spill over the gutter sides or down toward the foundation/basement
How often should you clean your gutters?
You should clean your gutters at least twice a year. Make sure to avoid getting that ladder out on rainy days.
What will you need to clean your gutters?
• A sturdy ladder
• Buckets for collecting gutter debris
• A gutter scoop
• A scrubbing brush
(we recommend suede material)
• Garden hose
How to do it:
While standing on your ladder, scoop out the leaves and debris from your gutters and place them into a bucket. Next, use a garden hose to wash out the gutters toward the drain outlet. If there is dirt stuck to your gutters, use a scrubbing brush to remove it.
Flush any leftover debris down the drainpipes using a garden hose. If the pipes are clogged and preventing water from draining, you may need to use a plumber’s auger (snake).
Don’t forget to check for leaks—there could be holes in the pipes and cracks in the caulking.
It’s important that you take the proper safety precautions when cleaning your gutters.
Watch out for power lines and make sure there aren’t any cables on your roof. If there is a damaged cable, call a licensed professional to come and fix it.
Have someone hold your ladder while you clean your gutters for extra stabilization.
We highly recommend that you clean your gutters from a ladder instead of the roof. It’s safer and easier to move around.
Lighten the Mood
Why would you want to light a path to your front door? There are plenty of reasons!
• Outdoor lighting adds to the curb appeal and value of your home, according to top Realtors®.
• It improves safety for visitors or family by making it easy to see where they are walking.
• A well-lit walkway increases security for your home.
Celebrate Halloween by installing outdoor lighting today for both safety and aesthetics. When it comes to outdoor lighting, remember two things:
Conserve energy. Compact fluorescent bulbs save energy and produce a bright light that lasts a long time. Timers are another way to save energy—your lights will go off even if you forget to flip the switch.
Less is more.It can be easy to get carried away and overdo it in the lighting department. Make sure your safety and security needs are met, highlight a couple of key focal points and just use soft mood lighting elsewhere. No matter how beautiful your fixtures, too much light is annoying.
October 31st: Halloween
October Home Warranty Tip:
Run a test on your sump pump during dry periods by dumping a bucket of water in the sump pit. If the pump does not turn on or clear out the water, a repair or replacement may be needed. This will ensure your pump is working when you really need it.
Halloween Muddy Buddies Mix
5 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
4 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups powdered sugar
1½ cups (10 oz bag) candy corn
1 cup Reese’s Pieces candy
1 cup Reese’s Minis, cut in half
1. In a large bowl, add cereal; set aside.
2. In a 1-quart microwaveable bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter and microwave uncovered for 30 seconds; stir. Return bowl to microwave and repeat until the mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla.
3. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until all cereal is evenly coated. Pour into a large re-sealable food-storage plastic bag.
4. Add powdered sugar, seal bag, and shake until cereal is well coated with powdered sugar. Add candy corn, Reese’s Pieces, and Reese’s Minis in the bag and shake until evenly dispersed throughout.
5. Spread onto waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Repair, Replace, Relax with Fidelity National Home Warranty (FNHW). A home warranty from FNHW provides both the home buyer and seller with “peace of mind” when it comes to repairs and/or replacement of a home’s major systems and appliances. FNHW prides itself on superior customer service, including quick response time and efficient solutions for homeowners’ problems and needs.
This is not intended as a solicitation if your property is currently listed with another agent. These materials contain information and articles obtained from third parties. FNHW does not endorse the recommendations of any third party nor guarantee the information provided is complete or correct.